Monday, February 14, 2011

Running and running and running

So it's been quite a while since I've updated the blog. The good news is that I haven't slacked off on my fitness goals in the slightest. As you can tell from my the title, I took up running since my last post. It started with a half marathon. Toward the end of my triathlon training, I decided to run a half marathon, and found one in October that gave me plenty of time to train and complete the 13.1 miles. And as I trained and enjoyed the running, I figured why not keep going and train for a full marathon. Because I'm CRAZY, I know.

After one of my countless training runs.

Really, it's more like I enjoy working out, and to keep me from being bored or getting complacent with a routine, I set goals and accomplishments. Planning races or a round of P90X or whatever other fitness phenomenon is the rage at the moment allows me to try new things, work different muscles, and improve my endurance, agility, and physique.

It just so happens, that right now, for me, that means lots of running. I think I've mentioned before that I use the Hal Higdon training plans, and continued the practice for these races.

So I registered for the Galveston Seawall Half in October with plans to PR (personal record) my time and rock it. My last half was the Houston Half in October 2009, and that was also a PR. Unfortunately, I did not PR but I had a great time running it, and still finished really well.

Loved this race! Most of the course was along the ocean.

Then I decided to run the Bay Area Turkey Day 10k five days later, and much to my surprise, I placed 3rd in my age group! I was shocked since my legs had definitely not yet recovered from the half, but my competitive spirit did not let me take it easy.

Showing off my medal!

Since then, I've continued training, and have less than a week to go. I ran my last long training run on two Sundays ago and have been tapering off to let my legs rest for the race.

26.2 here I come!








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your style is unique in comparison to other people I've read stuff from. Thank you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I'll just book mark this blog.
Take a look at my web site : Truth About Abs