Sunday, September 26, 2010

Next on the Agenda... Kickboxing!

Ok, so I can check off complete an Olympic triathlon from my fitness bucket list. So far, it was the hardest training for me to complete but definitely rewarding to cross the finish line. But it also made me feel like I was missing out on my other hobbies and priorities.

I contemplated signing up for a sprint triathlon in October, but decided against it. I want a rest from swimming and biking. I'll still ride on the weekends with my cycling club, but I want it to be more for recreation than training. Instead, I plan to attack a few more things on my bucket list before the new year.

First up was to get certified to teach fitness classes. I had expressed interest with the gym at the university where I work and found out that they needed a kickboxing instructor. As luck would have it, AFAA was offering a certification class, so I signed up for it and went to the training.

The certification can run anywhere from $100-150 for kickboxing, and does not include the training manual, which was another $40. So it's definitely an investment, but if you keep up with the certification requirements (called CEUs) that recycle yearly, then the certification lasts forever.

I start teaching on Monday, and I'm pretty nervous. I need music and to create a routine. But I've taken a ridiculous amount of kickboxing classes at various gyms and worked out to Tae Bo with Billy Blanks in the 1990s. So while it might start out a little shaky, hopefully things will fall into place and I'll get the hang of it. 

I'm going to channel a little Billy Blanks tonight to get me prepared...




5 comments:

Chiqui said...

Congratulations Monica on your fitness achievement goals! I know it took a lot of time, effort and dedication and now, kickboxing. Wow. Will be thinking about you on your first day of teaching kickboxing. I know you will do well. I posted on FB about a young man, who lost 120 pounds in about a year. Incredible story. He just decided to run off the weight. So, today in about 4 hours, I am going to put on my tennis shoes and run for as long as I can stand it. It's been a long time since I've walked/jogged or ran, but this guy did it and many others do it every day. My goal: get off diabetic medication and keep it at bay with exercise if medically possible. The added benefits will follow! Good Luck with your class. God Bless you!!!xxoo Chiqui

Blaire D Dorsey said...

That is great! Will you be teaching at a 24 Hour Fitness? I know you are near my area and kickboxing is my favorite group X class. Would love to join one of your classes if possible!

Blaire D Dorsey said...

That is awesome? Will you be teaching at a 24 Hour Fitness? I know you are near my area so thought I might check out one of your classes if so. Kickboxing is my favorite Group X class!

Monica said...

Thanks Chiqui! I will have to check out that video. I hope you find a fitness activity that you like- persistence is key! I know you can do it!

Monica said...

Blaire, right now I'm teaching at the college where I work since it's convenient. Once I feel more confident with my teaching, I do plan on applying with 24 Hour Fitness to teach there as well. I would love for you to come check out my class! :)